Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Frogs, Dogs and Hogs


Well, Friday we started the biannual white-death-get-to-the-store-for-bread-and-milk snow experiences we have here in Memphis. I really don't know that the roads were that bad, but it did take me an hour to get home from work on Friday, and I left at 4pm--this being an 8.5 minute drive in the morning. So it snowed and snowed and froze on Friday night and then all melted by Saturday at eleven. By that time, Daddy and I decided not to risk going to Fayetteville so we were here for the weekend. Here you can see that my little luau frog in the flower bed has a little ice drip going on. And yes, I know that I need to re-mulch the flower bed. So there you have the frogs portion of the post--frogs with frozen snot-- and the hogs portion--we didn't get to see them finally win a game. But the dogs portion! Oh this is bad! So, my little heathens in the backyard. You know how they like to catch a good vermin every now and then. Usually John is able to do take care of the after effects for me but the other day, I went outside and there were the remnants right there! John was already gone for work and I told myself that now that I was officially the Mama (never will anyone be another Momma) around here, I had to grow up and take care of this. Put all fears aside and get over this. I tried to think of you being there telling me how silly I was being to be afraid of a little dead rat and to just take care of it. So, I got my short little shovel that I use for my flower bed (maybe now with all my new confidence, I will use a big kid shovel this summer) and I went to task. After many, "oh my God"s and "ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"s, I finally got it on the shovel and promptly flicked it in the neighbor's yard. Seriously, you would have thought that I had ran a marathon with the pride I had at work, telling everyone, "I flicked a rat!! I did it!" I am so proud of me! You know all about my unreasonable fear of mice and such--it was such a moment! I had no one to call to brag though. I called a couple of folks but no one answered the phone at such an early hour so I had to just know that you knew and were impressed.

Today is one month since you have been gone. It seems like fifteen months. Everything that should be getting easier is getting harder. Every day hurts a little more when it should be hurting less. I don't know what to do or what to say to anyone. There is one person at work that DRIVES ME NUTS and I would call you to rant and rave on the way home about what a nimrod he/she is. The only thing to console me is that now you see all and you see everyday how annoying he/she is and you know exactly what I have been talking about all these years... I love you so much and want you here. When I would complain of something hurting, you said, "oh, I've had worse places in my eye" so everytime I think of my heart crumbling, I hope you aren't watching this all unfold and actually have a pain in your eyes. We are going to be okay, it's just going to really suck for a while.

More,

No comments: