Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Yard sale: life's memories, best offer

Today I feel completely selfish and stingy. I can't believe that I no longer have a parent living in Wynne. I am so very happy for Daddy and we absolutely love Linda and are so eager and ready to welcome her into our family on Saturday when they get married. It does sting to see him move from our home. To see all of the things that were accumulated over the years go to whomever wants them (or has room for them) and then on to the yard sale. It is as though that part of our lives has closed forever.

Ernest Hemingway was once challenged to write a story in six words. The result: "For sale: baby shoes, never used." It's rumored that Hemingway thought it was his greatest work, and it's invariably offered as the standard to which micro-fiction should aspire.

Yard sale: life's memories, best offer.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Bittersweet, indeed.
Love, Pat