Today was the third installment of cleaning out the house where I grew up so it can be sold to some other family. Some other family that will move in there thinking "this is a good starter home". I am sure that is what Momma and Daddy thought when they moved into 309 Crabb Lane. And then life happened. It happened a lot. Neall and I grew up there, they remodeled and it was suitable for our family. I remember looking at houses once when we were in high school and they decided to stay at our house. Then, we went to college and as Momma always said, her entire paycheck went to Neall and I. After we were moved out, they made adjustments to make it perfect for them. There were hardwood floors installed and new windows. There were gardening beds with cinder blocks on which to sit while tending to onions and strawberries. There was a deck that got a new look with big wide steps on the side instead of the small ones on the ends, new concrete poured for a patio and a side yard that became a flower bed. Momma's gardening technique was not so scientific--she just kind of threw things out there and they grew. There were frogs, lots of frogs, and the little statues of a girl and boy that reminded her of Neall and me.
And we got all of our memories out of there so that some other young family can create their own.
I brought home lots of things. Way more than I should have, but I just can't let go yet. There were so many things of Grandma Ruth's too. As I hung my "school days" bus frame with all of the school pictures of me from kindergarten to twelfth grade, I thought of Emmy and how I am going to have to use every single opportunity to tell her about her Yia Yia. Even if it is just her Yia Yia's baby picture in her play room, it's a chance to bring her up to Emmy. There was a picture that Aunt Ruby painted for me when I was little. It made me cry to think that here she is, on this earth, but Alzheimer's had made her as distant to me and Emmy as Grandma Ruth. It is so unfair for one little girl to have so few family members, but oh, how lucky is she to have the ones she has!
Not every little girl has an Auntie B and Uncle Neallio that want her. I don't have to ask them to keep her, but they WANT to have her stay with them. Mrs. Debbie came and picked Emmy and Solomon up today so that we could all work on the house and she WANTED to have Emmy with them. She loves her. Tara could not love Emmy any more than she does. LynnLynn sends Emmy adorable outfits with her name perfectly presented on them. Papa Richie loves her and snickers at her rantings and her ability to tell you exactly what a grizzly bear says. Momma's best friends love her--the aunts. She has Joy, she has Natalie, she has so many people that LOVE her.
She is a lucky girl. And we are a lucky family.
Sunday, June 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love you Tara, your tender heart, and love of family. I have tears on my face as I feel your heart break too. Family and continunity is so important. Miles seperate us little cousin,if only my heart had wings. As we slowly lose Aunt Ruby and Aunt Gladys to Alzheimer's and have lost your mother from my generation, there are shoes that need to be stepped into and I am proud of you for stepping into the footprints. Teri and Aunt Ruth live on through you and yours. They too, are proud of you. I know it in my heart.
Your John and Emmy Ruth are very blessed to have your love and strength. Much love, Cathy
Post a Comment