While yesterday was nearly a picture perfect morning, today was the exact opposite. Emmy Ruth loves to wear dresses to school. Sparkly ones, preferably. She wore her super sparkly dress yesterday and was quite disappointed that I had not washed it again yet. So, we set out to find something to wear. I try to give her some options and let her choose from them… there was a sparkly skirt with a sweater, a floral dress and a pair of leggings with a matching shirt. None of these would do. She went to pick out something for herself—and it did not go well. We finally settled on a different sparkly skirt (think of a pink tutu with glitter hearts) but it’s a little bit. She put on a Hello Kitty she got for her birthday with it—really sparkly and very fitted so it helped the skirt from slipping down. But then she decided that she didn’t like the skirt with the shirt. Eventually, she wore it—after time out for throwing a fit. Nothing makes a day swell like starting it with time out.
She is four. FOUR! I often have these type of dressing sessions, and there are sometimes tears and fits by me, when I can’t find something I want to wear and nothing looks like I want it to look, or the shirt doesn’t look just right with the pants. I sympathize with her on this but I don’t want her to have these thoughts and insecurities so early. She’s FOUR!
I somehow doubt this is something we will discuss in the parenting class I am taking at church.
No comments:
Post a Comment