Monday, January 25, 2010

"Are you coming to my party?"

Emmy Ruth is heading full speed towards her third birthday. I can hardly believe it’s been three years. Every day with this girl is a joy and a challenge… a joy because she is just so loving and sweet and a challenge because she can be so stubborn. There are no words to describe how each and every day I look at her and stop in my tracks at how much she reminds me of Momma and how much I wish Momma could see her and enjoy these precious moments. Precious moments like her using her princess phone to call each and every princess to ask if they were coming to her birthday party. “Aurora? Are you coming to my party?” Or when we were at the Chik Fil A playground and she just stopped and put her hand to her forehead and said “Oh good God!”  

 

Don’t even ask… there is this unicorn carriage thing that we have in the garage. It is supposed to be one of those ride on toys that run on battery but we got it, shall I say???, “second hand” and it doesn’t work. On top of that, the unicorn’s head is gone. Regardless, it’s been stuffed in the back of the garage and when we were playing in the yard yesterday, I pulled it out. Emmy Ruth lost her mind. John pulled her around in her new chariot forever. Through the muddy dog run, around the three dogs playing, she had a blast. It was only after about thirty minutes that she discovered the head… “oh no! My unicorn lost her head!” We have to get that fixed. Quickly.

 

And in stubborn moments, the girl has started putting her hands on her hips and saying, “I am so mad!” It really doesn’t matter what it is about, and I know she doesn’t understand, but we are working with her to teach her that she has to be careful when choosing words as some words can hurt feelings. For example, this conversation:

               

ER           I am so mad.

Me         Why?

ER           At Daddy. He hurt me.

Me         Oh no. What happened?
ER           He hurt me with that cookie.

Me         That animal cookie that you asked him for and he gave you?

ER           Yes. I am so mad!

 

It is another work in progress for us. Hopefully we can have this resolved before the super fabulous Dora party!

1 comment:

Pat said...

Oh my goodness! Yes, I can see and hear Teri saying that and slapping her forehead! You got double - you got precious Emmy and so many living memories of your Momma!!