Monday, December 15, 2008

Twenty Two Months

Oh, my Sweet Petite….  What a month this has been! Emmy Ruth has changed from a baby to a little girl right before our very eyes. And, amazingly enough in spite of the example she got from me, she is a wonderful little mommy. All of her babies get love, they get diaper changes, they get feedings and they all get put down for night-night. It is the absolute sweetest thing to watch. The funniest thing is Emmy with her phone. She cracks me up talking on it! The other night, we were in the car and I heard “Becca? {pause} Awe, man!” I am not sure what her Aunt Becca is telling her on these calls, but it must be wonderful because they “talk” all the time!

 

This weekend, she was sitting in Daddy’s lap with a swaddled Baby and Rudy climbed up in the chair and sat on Baby’s head. Emmy LET.HIM.HAVE.IT! She pointed at that cat and all we could make out was when she pointed at his tail and exclaimed “That’s where Rudy boo-boos!”. Such the overprotective mommy. How dare the putt his booboo on her baby’s head??? I don’t blame her one bit. I would be upset if someone came and sat on Emmy’s head as well.

 

We were in her room playing, me sitting on the fairy toddler bed and John in the Barbie desk as instructed, and she was playing with her Justice League bop bag. She pointed at Wonder Woman and said “Mama!” and then pointed at Superman and said “Daddy!”. Of course, we told her that she was absolutely right, she did live with Wonder Woman and Superman in the very same house and she was a very lucky little girl. I am trying to teach her our names, just in case, God forbid, something ever happens. I ask what is Daddy’s name and she looks at me as if I were just stupid and says “Daddy”. I am waiting on her to add the “duh” at the end, any moment now. Last night as she was trying to go to sleep, she told me that she needed milk and that Baby needed a diaper so I asked what Mama needed. And she replied “Daddy”. How right she is… I need Daddy more than she will never know.

 

Daddy is the one that keeps us all sane around here. I scratched Emmy under her eye Friday night and I feel so very badly. Lately, she really has had an aversion to me, wanting anyone but me.  If her AunTee is around, I might as well go ahead and sit out in the front yard by myself, she will have nothing to do with me, going so far as to call her “Mommy”. At first it was cute. Now, weeks later, it is starting to really hurt my feelings. In the rare instances that Emmy comes to me and grabs my hand and says “come on!”, I just melt and jump at the chance to be the chosen companion. In my zest to make our playtime fun, I was flipping her around and she hurt something, I am still not sure what. She ran to her daddy and there were lots of tears—by both his girls.

 

Who knew that being so very happy and so very sad could come from one little girl?  She absolutely is our everything and we are so thankful and so lucky to have spent the most wonderful 22 months with her.

 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahhh. tara. she has simply figured out what everyones roles are! I play with the kids all the time and someone always gets hurt..its fine, they bounce,mend and forget it. Try lettingher use some "big girl chapstick" next timeshe gets hurt.. I knew a lady who did this. when her neice would get a boo -boo. she would pull out her chapstick and let her put some on to "feel better" worked quite a bit. if nothing else it would distract her..