Sunday, May 11, 2008

Feliz Madre Dia

My Momma. What can I ever say about my momma that would ever do her justice? She was not perfect and I certainly never was. We fought a lot. A LOT! But she loved me dearly. I remember some of our lovelier fights. Once, I was determined to go to Lollapolooza and she and Daddy were worried about the vehicle we were taking. I knew they would be upset and when my friends showed up, I ran out to the car and waved bye to my parents on the porch--at 6am. It was not pleasant when I got home. Or the time that I snuck out with my friends and some boys and went to Memphis. We were supposed to spending that night at a friend's house and when we got busted, Momma came to pick me up in Vandale at 4am. It was not a nice ride home.

But she loved me. She might have not forgotten about the stupid stuff I had done, but she forgave me. I hope that I have the same gift with Emmy Ruth, she is her father's daughter so she is bound to get in to some trouble.

As I sit today and think of Momma here are some of the thoughts that flitter through my mind:
  • Momma was a priss. She prissed everytime she walked. I do it too. And Emmy does it. It's quite funny.
  • She danced. Not very well, mind you, but she always danced. Every time I see Emmy dance, I think it's momma giving her a kick in the tush to do it.
  • She laughed. Not just laughs but good belly laughs. I once was in a wedding where the dress was absolutely horrific. Momma had to sit down on the floor to not pee on herself she was laughing so hard!
  • Love. Love. Love. She loved Daddy; she loved Neall and I; she loved her brother, her nephew and her Christina and Jordan.
  • Friends. When I think of how good my friends are to me, I only think back to how good of friends Momma had. It is an incredible thing for our sweet Emmy to see.

Today is a day to celebrate the miracle that is my sweet Emmy Ruth and to be thankful for the blessing that was Teri Grayson.

No comments: