Monday, February 13, 2012

Five years

Wow. What a weekend. I have been an emotional rollercoaster all weekend, crying at the slightest thought of my girl being five years old. This isn’t me! I didn’t even tear up at her first birthday party and look at me now: a basket case mama of an almost kindergartener. Thi morning, we got up to get ready and she was just so beautiful. Emmy always climbs up from the back seat to crawl out my door of the car, she usually goes in the same way too! This morning we went to Kroger to get cupcakes to take to school and I asked if she was going to come out my door and she said, no, she was going to leave out her door since she was a big kid now. When we got to school, we stopped to talk to Ms. Shawn, her teacher in the two year old room, and I started to cry talking about it then!

Her party was so wonderfully fabulous and there were so many kids there that we didn’t even attempt to open gifts then. We brought them all home to open and she was so tired and overwhelmed that we only got through half that night. One gift was a set of Barbie clothes wrapped in a princess gift bag with a tulle bow. She picked it up and pointed to herself and said, “somebody knows THIS girl!” She got toys and clothes and way more that anyone deserves. We are so lucky that not only do so many people care so much about our girl, but John and I have so many friends that celebrated our precious girl with us. She was opening her presents after the party and when she opened the one from Lucas, she was so excited. She grabbed him and gave him the best hug and said, “you are my best!” Not that he was THE best or that he was her best friend or this or that. He is her best…. Everything. I woke up Sunday morning thinking of it and cried. Then we went to David’s birthday party and on the way there, Emmy talked John into sitting in the back seat with her. David and Emmy Ruth had the same due date and I cried thinking about how far we had come from that time. As we all sang along to the Muppet soundtrack and belted out “Rainbow Connection”, I lost it again! Between David and Alex’s parties yesterday, we got her nails done at Sweet and Sassy. Pretty adorable stuff there.

This morning, I asked what she wanted to do for her birthday dinner, telling her we could go anywhere she wanted to go. I cringed and hoped to she didn’t say Chuck E Cheese. She said, “you know that place where they make the food at your table! Sekisui!” So, hibachi it is for the five year old. I am afraid one day she is going to ask for caviar in bed. I was delighted when she explained to Papa Richie that she wanted to eat there because then you don’t have to wait on them to go cook your food and it take soooooooooo long. Finally—she is starting to act like me every now and then—even if it is her impatience showing.

No comments: