Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Generous soul

We went to Jonesboro on Thanksgiving to spend the day with John's family. We usually stay in a hotel room when we are there so we can get in some good pool time at an indoor pool. While there, Emmy started her Christmas list but on one of the hotel notepads. I mentioned that she might want to add something about Santa remembering all the other kids in the world too.

The next day, I told her we needed to work on her real list--you know the one that was in true letter format, just another chance to work on her penmanship, I thought. She told us she didn't want anything from Santa. She was afraid that if he brought her anything, he would forget all the kids in the orphanages.

Of course, my heart tore. What had I done? I want her to a caring girl but I don't want to take away the magic of the holidays for her. We talked about how we could go buy gifts together to take to the orphanage and we talked about all the charitable things we do already. Still nothing.

This morning, she asked why there were no presents for her under our tree. I reminded her that she said she didn't want anything and she reminded me that she said she didn't want Santa to bring her anything but I still could. Then it hit me.

The little twerp just doesn't want to have to write a letter.

No comments: