Emmy Ruth had been terribly upset to have to come home with us after her awesome weekend. She cried for “Aunt Becca and my dentist” and she cried for nana and for AunTee. As she was going to bed last night, she said, “going back to school today after being at Nana’s and Aunt Becca’s was NOT your best idea”. She also told me that I couldn’t stay with them the next time she stayed with Lucas because I tried to take too much of him time. I told her I would just hang out with AunTee and she said that wouldn’t work either because she needed time with AunTee. Finally she decided I could hang with JORGE!, not that she doesn’t love JORGE! but he works a lot so I could go there with him.
For dinner, she requested ChikFilA and since John was at practice, I thought we could have a special treat. She wanted chocolate milk with her kid’s meal but wanted to clarify it wasn’t like the chocolate milk we had at home, the soy milk I had tried. I told her we were out, much to her delight and she said she hated that milk and that tasted like “peanuts on hair”.
Before her bath, she had an upset stomach and when I asked her about it, she said, “yeah, my tummy is upset with you for feeding me too much tonight”.
As we were reading about Rapunzel going to sleep, I mentioned that she looked a lot like her, was she ever worried that someone would mistake her for Rapunzel? “Mom. I have curly hair, look she has straight hair. Totally different.”
However, the best of the day was as we went to sleep and I was singing her lullabies. Since she born, I have been singing “Mercedes Benz” by Janis Joplin to her. It just kind of started since it was one of the few songs in which I knew all the words and I was desperate. Now, we alternate between it and Amazing Grace and sometimes throw in some other good hymns like “How Great Thou Art” and “Up from the Grave He Arose”. Union Avenue Baptist Church as a kid really helps me out sometimes. Last night, Emmy asked me to sing her the song about the horses and the kids drawing on the TVs. It took me a while to figure out where she was getting that. “Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz, My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends”. I can see the horses and the Porsches. But the kids drawing on TV…. Thinking, thinking, thinking…. “Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a color TV, dialing for dollars is trying to find me”. Aha! She colors or draws and she has no concept of anything other than a color TV. I almost fell off the bed. It reminds me of the time she brought John a record and asked him why this CD was so big.
2 comments:
Tara, you are such a good mommy. I know it may be hard for you to believe, but that child has gotten her sense of humor from YOU (gasp!). Our girls are a lot alike with their funny words and their (almost) 5 -year-old reasoning skills. THEY.ARE.ALMOST.FIVE!!! Whoa.
Of course her Yia Yia loved Janis Joplin & sang " Mercedes" often! Pat
Post a Comment