I don’t want to say that Emmy or I are getting better as I don’t feel like either of was especially bad, but we are starting to get the hang of this thing going on now! The other day, Tara said how she couldn’t believe that Lucas and Emmy were this old; I told her I could, but only because I can’t remember what it was like before they were here. Emmy is starting to develop her own little personality. She’s quite a character. She smiles a lot but she has only laughed a real, hearty laugh a few times now. Sunday night, we were eating dinner with friends and watching the Sopranos finale and she woke up from a brief nap. She just laughed and laughed for no apparent reason. It was quite comical.
I am always one to multitask and having Emmy has made me tone that down. I used to be in the habit of being on the internet or watching TV or reading a magazine while I was feeding her but I have stopped doing that so much. The other day, she grabbed my finger with her entire little fist while she was eating. I started to move it and then it dawned on me that she won’t be doing that much longer. It was almost like she grabbed me and shook me, saying “Mama, please look in my eyes—watch me do this! One day you will wish you could hold me like this again”. So now, I just look into her giant blue eyes and hope that you are getting all this; hoping that you can see all this happening.
While I would love to say that I am putting Emmy in her crib every night, it would not be true. She usually starts out there but comes to bed with us to have her 3 AM feeding and stays with us the rest of the night. Some nights, if she is really having a tough time going to sleep, I just put her in bed with us from the beginning. Really, I just don’t think we can spoil her too much. Bless her little heart, she has had to teach John and I so many things already in her four little months, we can pamper her every now and then and it will all be okay. She will curl up in John's arm at night when we sleep together. On one hand, I want to be jealous that she wants to curl up with her daddy and not me, but then, I just turn over and get some sleep for a bit. Horrible, I know, but I have to take advantage of these times as they come at me. Last night, I heard her fussing through the baby monitor around 3 but before I could get up to get her for her feeding, she went back to sleep. She did that twice more; we got up each time to go check on her to make sure she was breathing and she was just back to sleep. I was so proud and think that we count this as sleeping through the night for the first time. My little grown up princess.
There are so many little things Emmy does now. She rolls over and then is furious that she is on her belly and screams. Sometimes, I can quickly shove a crib mirror in front of her face and she will let it go for a bit, but usually she is just ready to get on her back again. She loves her swing and I sit on the floor and talk to her when she is in it. I will take a deep breath and then 'eat' her toes and kiss the bottom of her feet. She will just scream with delight!!!!!!!!! It's hysterical.
My sweet, sweet Emmy. I can never thank John enough this Father's Day for my sweet, sweet Emmy.
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So sweet. Yes, take the time to look into her eyes. These little moments will pass so quickly. Just burn them in your memory; you're learning how fast time flies.
Happy birthday, Emmy!!
Happy Father's Day, John!
Love from your Aunt Pat
Post a Comment